Skin disorders significantly differ in severity and symptoms. They could be permanent, temporary, painful, or painless. Some are caused by specific situations, while others are hereditary. In addition, certain skin disorders are minor, while others could be fatal. Examples of skin conditions include:
- Skin Cancers
- Contact Dermatitis
- Skin Infections
Although most of these conditions are minor, some could indicate an underlying and more serious health issue. With this in mind, if you suspect that you have a skin condition, you can schedule an appointment with one of the dermatologists here at North County Dermatology Center in Encinitas, CA. Dr. David Thomas, Dr. Margaret Dupree, or Dr. Erin Storie can examine your condition and recommend appropriate skin treatment options during a telemedicine visit.
What Causes Skin Disorders?
- Microorganisms, parasites, or fungus on the skin
- Bacteria trapped in hair follicles or skin pores
- A compromised immune system
- Genetic factors
- Conditions that impact the kidneys, immune system, thyroid, and other systems
- Contact with irritants, another individual’s infected skin, or allergens
A myriad of lifestyle factors and health problems could likewise cause skin disorders. Further, some disorders don’t have known causes. This is why accurate diagnosis and skin treatments by your dermatologist in Encinitas, CA, is immensely crucial.
How Do I Know If I Have a Skin Condition?
Skin disorders come with a wide variety of symptoms. Some symptoms such as blisters from wearing new shoes are obviously not due to a skin condition. But symptoms or irregularities, like the ones below, that appear out of nowhere might indicate a skin disorder that will require proper treatment:
- Peeling, cracked, rough, scaly, or overly dry skin
- Open, bleeding, and/or weeping lesions or sores
- A rash that’s itchy and/or painful
- Changes in mole size and color or new moles
- Excessive flushing
- White or red raised bumps
- Discolored skin patches
- Loss of skin color or pigment
- Fleshy warts, bumps, or other growths
How are Skin Problems Treated?
Many skin conditions are treatable with common treatments such as:
- Medicated ointments and creams
- Steroid or vitamin injections
- Targeted prescription medicines
- Laser therapy
However, it’s also vital to note that not all skin conditions would respond to treatment. Individuals with permanent skin issues such as psoriasis typically go through periods of no symptoms and then experience severe symptoms. Likewise, most skin disorders typically recur due to illness, stress, and other triggers. In some cases, individuals could force an incurable skin problem into remission with proper treatment.
For More Information on Skin Disorders and Skin Treatment Options, Call Us
Dial (760) 230-2805 to reach the North County Dermatology Center in Encinitas, CA, and set your appointment with Dr. David Thomas, Dr. Margaret Dupree, or Dr. Erin Storie.