How your pediatricians in McKinney, TX, can help if your child has attention deficit hyperactivity disorder.
Does your child squirm around, have difficulty paying attention, or doesn’t complete tasks well? These could all be normal behaviors, or they could be signs of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder or ADHD.
The pediatricians of ABC Pediatrics, in McKinney, TX, offer comprehensive children’s health services, including treatment of ADHD.
According to the Child Development Institute, the main characteristics of ADHD are inattention, hyperactivity, and impulsivity. Fortunately, ADHD is a treatable condition, but it often goes undiagnosed, because the signs and symptoms are common behavioral issues with children.
So, how can you tell if your child has ADHD? There are several signs and symptoms for you to recognize, including frequent:
- Fidgeting or squirming
- Hand and foot movements or tapping
- Difficulty sitting still
- Running or climbing when inappropriate
- Excessive talking or blurting out
- Problems focusing on details
- Problems listening and following directions
- Disorganization and losing things
- Distraction and forgetfulness
ADHD that goes untreated can cause severe issues as your child grows into a teenager, and then an adult. Some of the consequences of untreated ADHD can include:
Problems in school, such as poor grades and learning issues
Problems with behavior, such as belligerence, aggression, and bullying
Problems with socialization, such as difficulty making or keeping friends
Problems at work, such as lack of focus or concentration, and difficulty completing a task or project
- Treatment of ADHD often consists of a combination of therapies, including:
- Behavioral therapy, the goal of which is to minimize inappropriate behaviors
- Lifestyle modifications, the goal of which is to promote a healthy diet and exercise regimen
- Medication therapy, the goal of which is to improve brain function and sharpen focus and concentration
To learn more about the signs, symptoms, and treatment of ADHD, talk with the experts. Call the pediatricians of ABC Pediatrics, in McKinney, TX, at (972) 569-9904. Call today.