If you’re concerned that your child might be suffering from children’s allergies in McKinney, TX, the team at ABC Pediatrics can help.
Common Signs of Allergies in Children
Children’s allergies in McKinney, TX typically come with the following symptoms.
- Runny or itchy nose
- Red, itchy, watery eyes
- Consistent ear problems, including infections, itching, feeling stopped up, or popping
- Nasal congestion
- Nasal dripping
- Sore throat
Most of these symptoms can be due to other issues as well. Before assuming that any of these are due to allergies, consider the following:
- Does your child have a fever? If so, it’s likely a cold as opposed to allergies.
- Are other kids in the school sick? Kids tend to pass colds and viruses around. If your child’s classmates or friends are sick, too, allergies are probably not to blame.
- How long has your child been sick? Colds and viruses typically go away within a reasonable amount of time. Two weeks is usually the longest a sickness will hang around. If your child’s symptoms have been around longer, they’re likely due to allergies.
- When do symptoms present? Allergy symptoms often come out at certain times of the day or year and in certain places. For example, if your child sniffles at ball practice but is okay at school or home, they’re probably allergic to something around the ballpark.
- What exactly is running out of their nose? Allergies tend to trigger runny noses full of clear, watery liquid, while colds and other sicknesses trigger a thick, green infection.
- What causes their cough? If it comes during exercise or play, when laughing, or at night time, it might be asthma.
While allergy triggers can be as varied as the individuals that suffer from allergies, there are some common ones. If you notice that your child’s symptoms begin when exposed to any of these triggers, they likely suffer from children’s allergies:
- Pollen from trees or plants
- Bites or stings from insects
- Furry pets
- Dust or mold
- Exhaust from a vehicle
- Cigarette smoke
- Cologne or perfume
- Household cleaners
The best way to determine if your child’s symptoms are due to children’s allergies in McKinney, TX is to make an appointment with the team at ABC Pediatrics by calling (972) 569-9904.