The Hearing Loss Association of America estimates that about 20% of adults suffer from some degree of hearing loss. By the time they are 65, about one-third of people suffer from hearing loss. Since the condition usually worsens gradually over time, you may not recognize the signs of hearing loss as they occur. However, you can determine if you are in need of a hearing aid with Giulio Cavalli in Pittsfield, MA!
Do I need a hearing aid?
While many people do not realize their hearing loss at first, there are some warning signs which are characteristic of hearing loss. Some of the early symptoms may include:
- Feeling as though others are mumbling more often than not
- Difficulty hearing the other person during phone calls
- Difficulty having a conversation in crowded places, like events or restaurants
- Others tell you that TV or radio is very loud when you feel as though it is at a normal volume
- You often find yourself asking others to repeat things during conversations whether in-person or over the phone
If you find one or more of these symptoms to be true, you may benefit from a hearing aid.
How can a hearing aid benefit me?
Hearing aids are the most common treatment for hearing loss. The basic function of a hearing aid is to take in outside sounds through a microphone then amplify them into the ear. While most aids function the same way, they come in a variety of styles. You can choose a more affordable hearing aid that may fit over and around the back of your ear or aid which is completely invisible and lies within your ear canal. Your doctor can help you determine which style of hearing aid is best for you and your condition.
Hearing Tests in Pittsfield, MA
A hearing test is your best source of diagnosing the degree of your hearing loss. During your test, you will wear a pair of headphones that will transmit sounds at different frequencies to your ears. Your doctor will assess your hearing loss by having you acknowledge each sound and which side of the headphones it came from.