It seems as if children seem to sprout up overnight, and sometimes it can be difficult to monitor his or her every change whether it is behavioral or physical. The doctors at Spectrum Pediatric Group in Kennesaw, GA are committed to helping parents attend to the health needs of their children. There are a few developmental milestones that you should definitely watch for in your children. In addition to seeing your kids doctor, taking note of these milestones is an important part of ensuring your child's proper growth and ongoing health.
What Is a Developmental Milestone?
A developmental milestone is an important “event” in a child’s life that shows they are developing normally. These milestones have an important effect on how the child will behave and grow, including their socialization with other children, learning habits, walking and speech patterns.
When you bring your baby in for his or her first appointment with your Kennesaw kids doctor, you’ll discuss the most important developmental milestones to monitor. These include:
- Beginning to smile and try to make sounds at 2-4 months old
- Beginning to understand speech and develop attachments at nine months
- Sitting up and standing on his or her own, as well as developing a thirst to learn new things (and words) at one year
- Becoming much more independent, saying full sentences and walking easily by age two
- Running, jumping, and eating his or her own food without the need for parental assistance by the age of four
- Speaking clearly, drawing, counting and learning to read and write by age five
When to See a Doctor
When children aren’t taking these developmental cues, it is important to have them evaluated by a pediatrician. The earlier an issue is addressed, the better the chance that the child will resume normal advancement into his or her pre-teen years, teens and adulthood. Many parents believe that they only have to see their kids doctor when there's a serious problem, but it is wise to keep up with regular recommended checkups through age five.
Schedule a Checkup Today in Kennesaw, GA
At the important milestones in your child's young life, it's good practice to follow up with your pediatrician. Call Spectrum Pediatric Group in Kennesaw, GA at 770-966-0778 to schedule an appointment with a kids doctor who will become a long-term fixture in you and your child's life.