Your podiatrists in Fort Walton Beach, and Crestview, FL, can treat toenail fungus.
Toenail fungus can make your toenails look dull and clouded. It can also be uncomfortable, causing pain and pressure underneath your toenails. The good news is, you can do a lot to prevent toenail fungus, and your podiatrist can help.
Dr. Cosimo Ricciardi and Dr. Neil Patel of Emerald Coast Podiatry provide comprehensive foot care services, including treatment of toenail fungus in Fort Walton Beach, and Crestview, FL, to help your feet.
Toenail fungus, also known as onychomycosis, starts out as a tiny yellow or white spot underneath your toenail. The spot grows larger as it burrows deeper underneath your toenail.
You can get toenail fungus when your skin comes into contact with the fungus, which typically thrives in warm, moist public areas like gyms, pools, or locker rooms.
The best way to prevent toenail fungus is to always wear footwear when you enter these areas. Wearing a pair of flip-flops can go a long way toward keeping your toes free of toenail fungus.
You should also:
- Keep your feet clean and dry
- Check your nails, toes, and feet often
- Wear breathable footwear
- Wear moisture-wicking socks
- Apply foot powder to reduce sweating
For a mild case of toenail fungus, you can try:
- Applying over-the-counter anti-fungal cream
- Trimming your toenails straight across
For moderate to severe cases of toenail fungus, you should visit your podiatrist. Common professional treatments include:
- Prescription-strength oral anti-fungal medications
- Prescription medicated nail cream or medicated nail polish
- Surgical removal of the infected nail, to enable a new, healthy nail to grow
- Laser and light therapy to kill the fungus
Don’t let uncomfortable and embarrassing toenail fungus in Fort Walton Beach, and Crestview, FL, keep you from showing off your feet. To learn more about the prevention and treatment of toenail fungus, call Dr. Ricciardi and Dr. Patel of Emerald Coast Podiatry. You can reach us at 850-862-4119 or 850-682-6522.